My Choice for Best Brick and Block Trowel



Over the years, I have used many trowels - some great, some rubbish. My very first was an old WHS and I loved that thing. It slowly wore down and was replaced by others. I do still own a few  vintage WHS, Tyzack and Bowdon trowels but they just sit there on display in my office. When it comes to what I use to lay, I have now narrowed it down to my two favorites. One for brick work the other for blocks.

An earlier article looks at The Most Popular Brick Trowel. Another focused not so much on the brand but rather on what Size, Pattern and Handle to go for. But here's what I like to use:


My Brick Trowel


W.Rose
Wide London Pattern
10"
ProForm Handle


The high quality steel blade of the Rose is great for bricklaying. It sort of reminds me of the old style WHS. It doesn't have as much flexibility as some other trowels, but works fine for bricks, especially only being a 10". 
The London pattern allows for a bit more precision when spreading a bed and you can't beat the ProForm grips. 

Click here to view on Amazon




My Block Trowel


Marshalltown
Philadelphia Pattern
11"
DuraSoft Handle


When laying blocks it is important to have a bit more flex in the blade, this gives more feeling and control. The Marshalltown is perfect for this.
 The only downside to the increased flexibility is they tend to wear out a bit quicker than the Roses. The  Philadelphia pattern allows for more mud to be loaded. 
I use a relatively small 11" for blocks because it works well in a bucket. The Durasoft handles are the best for grip.

Click here to view on Amazon